Cloud Systems Engineer
Chess.com is the #1 place on the internet to play chess and improve your game. We have members in 195 countries and appear in 70+ languages. We are looking for a Cloud/Systems Engineer to join and help maintain our cloud-based infrastructure 70+ million members. In this role you will use design skills and knowledge of cloud-based systems for to implement cloud applications and debug cloud stacks.
You are passionate about building and managing infrastructure. You have the deep experience of a traditional sysadmin, and also the future-oriented skills of managing in a cloud/Kubernetes ecosystem. You are humble with a sense of humor and don’t take yourself too seriously. You have been working in or dreamed of working in the gaming industry and are ready to turn your talents towards chess!
What You’ll Do
- You will help us to continue automating our systems and tasks by building provisioning scripts.
- You will help us maintain stability and performance as we blend our existing bare-metal datacenter hosted with AWS/GCP for microservices and scaling
- Proficiency in managing Kubernetes clusters
- Experience with AWS or GCP
- Particular experience with Terraform (we treat Infrastructure as Code)
- UNIX/Linux generalist
- Experience building CI/CD pipelines
- Good understanding of modern monitoring & logging stack i.e. Prometheus, Cortex, EFK
- 2+ years supporting php/java, mysql, and redis
- Experience handling big data, including skills with Spark, Hadoop, BigQuery, ETL, Snowflake, etc.
- Understanding of networking fundamentals, http, etc
- Comfortable with scripting
- Sense of ownership and responsibility
- Strong collaboration and communication skills working in a fully distributed team
- Chess player
- Lifelong learner
- Bonus: Experience with message brokers (e.g. Kafka, PubSub, Redis)
- Bonus: You are interested in building a hybrid on-prem/cloud Service Mesh
About the Opportunity
- This is a full time or equivalent position
- We are 100% remote (work from anywhere!)
- Learn more about us here! You can learn more about us here:
We look forward to meeting you!