Senior Backend Foundation Engineer
Chess.com is the #1 place on the internet to play chess and improve your game. We have members in 195 countries and appear in 70+ languages. We are looking for a Senior Backend Foundation Engineer to join our team and build systems that deliver the best possible chess experience for our 70+ million members.
You are an experienced software architect and have designed and deployed distributed systems into production. You understand how to scale applications, including performance tuning, relational database modeling and data access patterns, caching, logging, monitoring, alerting, and urgent response. You love to build for and support engineers as customers and you understand how to design libraries and tools that make everyone’s life simpler and easier.
You are humble with a sense of humor and don’t take yourself too seriously. You have been working in or dreamed of working in the gaming industry and are ready to turn your talents towards chess!
What You’ll Do
Work with a small team of highly experienced engineers on creating new, highly scalable services or help scale existing codebase and storage for a global top 200 website. Contribute to technology, architecture, workﬂow, and design decisions.
- Experience with large data sets
- Experienced engineer who can adapt to ever changing needs
- Excellent understanding of software design and architectural patterns
- Multidisciplinary - familiar with many application stacks
- PHP or Java experience
- Experience with Kafka
- Experience with Redis
- Experience with MySQL
- Experience with Mongo
- Experience working with Cloud
- Experience with SQL schema design and query optimization
- Experience with command line and Unix systems
- Experience working with a fully distributed team
- Sense of ownership and responsibility
About the Opportunity
- This is a full-time or equivalent position
- We are 100% remote (work from anywhere!)
- This is open to applicants from anywhere!
You can learn more about us here:
We look forward to meeting you!