Chess.com is one of the largest gaming sites in the world and the clear #1 platform for playing, learning, and enjoying chess.
We are a team of 370+ fully remote people in 45+ countries working hard to serve the global chess community. We are also growing fast, with more than 80 million players having chosen Chess.com as their online chess home, and a large base of happy premium subscribers.
We are a tech company. A gaming company. A content company. And we do it all with passion and commitment to the game. Above all we prize our mission-driven, flat, life-celebrating, no-corporate culture, and we look forward to meeting you and learning more about what you can bring to the team.
You’ll work with our Chief Financial Officer (“CFO”) and Finance and Accounting (“F&A”) team to support the accounting and financial reporting functions of Chess.com. You have 8-10 years of experience in public accounting and/or controllership roles and experience working with SaaS companies. You have a passion for chess (no matter your rating) and growing the game.
What You’ll Do
- Manage all accounting and financial reporting processes, including order-to-cash, procure-to-pay and record-to-report
- Lead and manage overall accounting department and accounting team members
- Maintain our current financial accounting system and advise on future systems and tools to best support Chess.com
- Establish and maintain our financial accounting and reporting processes, procedures and controls
- Establish accounting policies to comply with required GAAP, including revenue recognition under ASC 606
- Manage monthly accounting close process
- Prepare monthly financial statements and financial reports and analyses for CFO, CEO, board of directors, investors, lenders and other key stakeholders
- Manage annual audit, including preparing audit workpapers, managing accounting team to respond to audit requests and serving as primary point of contact for auditors
- General accounting management of all books and records of Chess.com
- Manage treasury function and cash management, including management of bank accounts, credit cards and credit limits
- Ensure compliance with lender reporting and debt payments
- Manage cash flow forecasting, budgeting and strategic planning in conjunction with F&A team
- Assist CFO and F&A team with annual budgeting and forecasting process by providing data and reports as required for preparation of the organization-wide budget
- Ensure compliance with federal, state and local legal and tax and statutory requirements
- Manage third-party consultants and professional services teams, such as tax advisors, and valuation specialists, as needed
- Identify opportunities for improvement and partner with others to achieve efficiencies
- Work closely with the CFO and management team to ensure that our actions and communications support our stated goals and help monitor and report on progress
- Evaluate ongoing staffing needs, hiring, supervising, and improving the accounting function by providing leadership, mentorship and coaching
- Other duties as assigned
Preferred Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree with emphasis in accounting, CPA and/or Master’s degree in accounting preferred
- 8-10 years in public accounting and controllership or senior accounting manager roles
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong leadership and collaboration skills working in a fully distributed team
- Sense of ownership and responsibility
- In-depth experience with Microsoft Office (particularly Excel) and ERP systems
- Chess player
- Lifelong learner
About the Opportunity
- This is a full-time position
- We are 100% remote (work from anywhere!)
- This is open to applicants from all time zones across the contiguous US
You can learn more about us here:
We look forward to meeting you!