Senior Backend Product Engineer
Chess.com is the #1 place on the internet to play chess and improve your game. We have members in 195 countries and appear in 70+ languages. We are looking for a Senior Backend Product Engineer to join and help build our platform for our 70+ million members. In this role you will be using your creative problem solving skills to deliver the best possible chess experience for our members.
You are a product-minded multidisciplinary engineer who excels at working closely with Product Managers, Designers, and Frontend Developers at every stage of the product development cycle. You have a high tolerance for technical spec ambiguity during the early phases of product discovery.
You cut through complexity while offering simplified solutions that maximize output and future-proofing. Your holistic understanding of product development and in-depth experience of software engineering principles, such as SOLID, are foundational to your nuanced architectural decisions. Being a naturally unorthodox thinker, you can confidently seek out innovative solutions for recurring development challenges.
You are humble with a sense of humor and don’t take yourself too seriously. You have been working in or dreamed of working in the gaming industry and are ready to turn your talents towards chess!
What You’ll Do
- Work with a multidisciplinary team to design and build the best possible chess experience using the most relevant software engineering principles
- Build and optimize backend systems, scaling for a global top 200 website
- Contribute to technology, architecture, workﬂow, and design decisions
- Contribute to the backend development team knowledge-base, and mentor junior developers
- Multidisciplinary - familiar with many application stacks
- Concise communicator
- Holistic integrator
- Complexity simplifier
- Unorthodox thinker
- 5+ years PHP experience (Symfony preferred)
- Excellent understanding of software design and architectural patterns
- Experience with SQL schema design and query optimization
- Experience with command line and Unix systems
- Experience working with a fully distributed team
- Sense of ownership and responsibility
- Chess player
- Lifelong learner
About the Opportunity
- This is a full time or equivalent position
- We are 100% remote (work from anywhere!)
- This is open to applicants from anywhere!
You can learn more about us here:
We look forward to meeting you!